ACF Marilyn Barraclough Scholarships:
The ACF Board of Directors have renamed the ACF Scholarships to the 'ACF Marilyn Barraclough Scholarships'. Marilyn was a passionate curler, coach, instructor, 1990 CCA Hall of Fame inductee and volunteer with both the ACF and the Canadian Curling Association. She served as President of the ACF from 2002 - 2004. Marilyn lost her battle with myelofibrosis, a type of bone marrow cancer and passed away on March 27, 2014. To read more about Marilyn Barraclough Click Here.
ACF will be offering two annual scholarships in the amount of $1200 each for the 2017-2018 season.
Scholarships will be awarded to student/curlers attending the second or later years of post-secondary education within the boundaries of the ACF. There is no age limit to submit applications - applicants may only receive an ACF Scholarship once. In the event you applied previously and were not successful, you may reapply in another year.
To qualify, the applicant must:
1. Be a member in good standing of an ACF Member Club.
2. Must have competed in an ACF Provincial Championship or the Provincial level of the Alberta Winter Games. OR Must have competed in another Provincial/Territorial Championship and completed one year of post-secondary education at an Alberta university/college.
3. Must be actively curling in the year they apply (see #2 below).
4. Have maintained a GPA of 3.0 or higher in the year prior to their application.
Applicants will have to provide the following in order to be considered for the ACF Marilyn Barraclough Scholarships:
1. List of curling achievements and volunteer community involvement.
2. Letter from home curling club attesting that they are a member in good standing and competing on a regular basis in a league at the club.
3. Transcript of previous year(s) marks of their post-secondary education.
4. Letter of reference from coach, teammates or community leader
5. Personal essay of 1000-1500 words as to how the scholarship would assist in the short-term and long-term goals of the student athlete.
6. Contact information sheet that includes mailing address, home phone number and email address.
Applicants will be judged on a combination of the quality of the written essay, quality of marks provided in the requested transcripts, community involvement and previous curling achievements.
Applications for the 2017-2018 Scholarships must be received at the ACF prior to 4:00 pm on Friday, October 13, 2017. Applicants should forward two (2) copies of their application to:
ACF Scholarship Committee:
c/o The Alberta Curling Federation
3rd Floor - Percy Page Centre
11759 Groat Road
Edmonton, Alberta T5M 3K6
Announcement of 2017-2018 Scholarship Winners:
The two recipients of the 2017-2018 ACF Marilyn Barraclough Scholarships will be notified by email and phone on or before November 1, 2017.
Scholarship Payment Schedule:
Each recipient will receive two payments as follows:
**Cheque #1 in the amount of $400 By November 30, 2017.
**Cheque #2 in the amount of $800 will be provided when the transcripts for the 2017-2018 school year are provided to the ACF office - applicants must maintain a 3.0 GPA in the year of their award to be eligible to receive their second payment. Please provide your transcripts prior to May 16, 2018. If they are not available by this date, please contact us as soon as possible.
If you have any questions, please contact:
|Lindsay Field |
ACF Programs Director